Thursday, October 2, 2008

Juno?

I can not understand why the movie Juno is praised as much as it is...

First of all, the sarcasm in that movie is completely overwhelming to the point where it just becomes annoying. My mind couldn't register anything Juno said because I was in a sarcastic coma about half way into the film. No one in real life talks in complete sarcasm 24/7, especially not after they just found out they were pregnant. Which brings me to another point. Why did everyone take the pregnancy news so lightly? And sarcastically for that matter? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't getting pregnant at age 16 upset your parents to the point where they stop cracking sarcastic jokes for a couple of minutes? Apparently not Juno's parents. Or even Juno for that matter. She did break down in one scene while driving the Previa, but after that, she was back to her happy, overly sarcastic self for the rest of the movie. For me, that just voids the rest of the movie of any realistic possibilities. 

The other thing that bugged me about this movie was the scene where she decides to keep the baby. I won't get all political on you and preach my beliefs about pro-choice, but I think it's worth mentioning. When she arrives at the clinic where she plans to go through with the abortion, the director choses to depict it in a vile and disgusting light. The place is filthy, the employees look like they haven't showered in a month, and strange sounds begin to fill Juno's head. She becomes uncomfortable as these weird "sounds" get louder and louder. At that point, Juno just couldn't take those sounds anymore and she decided that she was going to have the baby... did this strike anyone else as odd? The director made it seem as if Juno made her decision based  on some sounds she heard in the abortion office. I would've guessed that the decision making process of whether  to keep or not keep your unborn child would be a little more difficult than that, but that's just me. 

The only props I can give to this movie is the soundtrack. It is mostly consists of the artist, Kimya Dawson. If you haven't heard her music, I suggest you have a listen.



3 comments:

simply me said...

i completely agree with you. although there may be a few interesting points in the movie, overall it is obnoxious.

another thing i'd like to add about the abortion clinic. making the choice to have an abortion would probably be a tough choice, something that couldn't be changed but something as little as 'fingernails.'

Connor said...

I have to agree with you as well when it comes to the sarcasm. As if I don't deal with enough of that on a daily basis.

I'm not sure the "dirty" abortion clinic was made that way to make it look bad for Juno. It just has a more realistic look.

Brendan Baker said...

Even though I've never seen the movie Juno, this post makes me want to see it for all the wrong reasons. Even though there was a slight chance I'd like the movie, this post will make sure that doesn't ever happen. Even though I'm sure some of the aspects you talked about were a little exaggerated, but I supposed I'd have to watch the film for myself to see. Very well written and I'm looking forward to reading your posts in the future