Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Gran Torino

Going into this film, I didn't expect very much. Mostly because Clint Eastwood was the main actor and let's face it, he's old. Really old. But the movie recieved good reviews so I decided to give Eastwood a chance to redeem himself.
              

I was not impressed with the first 30 minutes of the film.  Nothing significant happened plot wise that would catch the audiences attention. Clint Eastwood (Walt Kowalski) just mumbled racist comments under his breath and complained about "kids these days". I'll admit, the first couple mumbles were funny. But after the 8th, then 12th, then 20th racist comment I began to think that Eastwood attempted to base an entire movie off of a racist old man. Yes, it's a funny concept. But you can't write an entire movie around this alone. My Grandfather was also comically racist every once and a while, but if he mumbled as many racist comments in his lifetime as Clint Eastwood's character did over the course of this film, I would be concerned. I'm not saying I was offended by them in any way. I've heard my fair share of racist comments. I just felt that it got old after a while.

Luckily, about 45 minutes in, the plot began to pick up. Despite Walt's "strong opinions" of other races, he befriends a teenage asian girl (Sue) who happens to be his neighbor. Eventually, she introduces him to her brother (Thao) who is trying to avoid being forced to enter a neighborhood gang. As the film progresses, Walt becomes Thao's mentor and he teaches him how to be a man. I'll stop here so I don't accidently give anything away.

Overall this is a decent plot. I feel like it's somewhat cliche with the whole "grandpa teaching the son to be a man" thing (that is essentially the plot to the movie "Second Hand Lion") but it is still entertaining no matter what circumstance. I also feel like the ending was pretty predictable too. It really disappoints me when I figure out the ending 30 minuted before it actually happens because then there is no element of surprise at the end, which is the best part of a movie.

I know I've only said negative things about this film, but overall I would say it is worth seeing. It may contain some recycled plot lines, but hey, what movie today doesn't do that? 
I would like to know what you guys thought of the movie. If you liked it, please explain why and if you disagree with any of my comments don't hesitate to prove me wrong. I'm up for some discussion.

3 comments:

Mat G. said...

i agree with the fact that the first thirty minutes were hard to get through and that the racial comments just made it seem like even longer.
i feel that through the first thirty minutes all he seems to be showing us is that he is some crazy old man who seems to be mad at everyone cause of his wifes death. with the scene where he confronts the three black guys on the corner where they are pushing the asian neighbor around and he pulls out his fingers shaped like a gun just made me feel that he is just oddly crazy and that he feels that he is in complete control on the fact that he is some old white man, and further illustrates the belief that white is the best race.

cataclysmic chaos said...

Yeah i didn't thing that scene where he confronts the 3 black guys was believable. They wouldn't back down because some old man pulled out his fingers in the shape of a gun. Its was just an odd scene in general.

But i don't think he necessarily believes that "white" is the best race. I just think that he can't understand/accept other races "tendencies" and "traditions". But he's mostly bitter toward the asian race because he was in the korean war and was constantly being shot at by asians.

cataclysmic chaos said...

okay... well since no one else is leaving any more comments... i'd like to comment that I don't think Walt's wife's death had much to do with Walt's racism or overall anger. I think his wife's death was set up at the beginning of the film in order to create a situation were Walt is all alone. This emptiness in Walt's life is what made him reach out to people he would have otherwise despised, like other races such as the asian family that lives next store.